Tuesday, September 9, 2014

San Antonio & D'Hanis

It's about a week until I leave for London, and things are starting to get busy! I've started packing and making sure I have everything I need for the trip. So many blogs and articles I've read have provided detailed packing lists and tips, but the best piece of advice I've gotten has come from my dad, who always seems to know what's best. When I came to him with questions about what I should bring from home, my dad told me to leave as much as I could at home. Part of the fun, he said, will be shopping for the UK versions of things back home and finding new things. I had never even thought of this, but what great advice! It'll be part of the study abroad experience shopping UK style. After having this revelation, I've been waaay less stressed about packing. I'll pack for the first week and bring basic clothes, but then if I need another pair of jeans, no problem- I can just buy a new pair in the UK. No wool socks (on almost everyone's packing list)? No problem. I'll just get a special new pair in England.

Right now my packing process is paused while I'm out west visiting my grandparents and some of my extended family. Yesterday I went out with my younger cousin to throw out hay with my Papa, then we all had a lovely family dinner. This morning my uncle took my cousin and I out to shoot the 22 rifle. Considering I don't get target practice very often, I did alright! All fifteen bullets I shot hit the target and one hit the edge of the bullseye. It made me feel like a true Texan. Earlier in the afternoon I rode in my uncle to San Antonio and met with my aunt and ran some errands with her. 

Right now I'm sitting in a Starbucks off Broadway St. waiting for Caitlin to pick me up. I'm going to be spending the next two nights with her at her apartment and it should be a lot of fun. 

Well, that's all for now! I'll update this later with some pictures.
***
1 week later...

Well, I never finished this post like I said I would- things were very busy! I'm actually finishing this post from a train in England! (I'll write another post in a few days about my first week in the UK.) Anyways, back to my trip to west Texas. Spending time with Caitlin was and always is great. No matter what we're doing, and even if we're doing nothing, we always have fun. On Friday evening after Caitlin picked me up we went to eat at Panera with her super nice and cool roommate. After that we went back to the apartment and watched 22 Jump Street. Watching movies like that with Caitlin always makes them waaaay funnier! On Satuday we got a late start and had lunch at a little family owned Pizzeria near her apartment named Sorrento's. We had been there once before and the food was just as delicious the second time. We ordered a mushroom pizza to share- yum! In the late afternoon we headed to Caitlin's cousin Stefanie's house to visit her and her family. I've known Stefanie for quite a while, and now she is married with three wonderful kids! It was great to spend some time with them and we had a wonderful evening. Added bonuses: we learned the "Cups" song from Pitch Perfect and Stefanie lent me some winter clothes to take with me to England. 

On Sunday we ate at Freddy's (not healthy but so delicious!) then stopped at Old Navy for some shopping. I got a cute dress and a few other things for my trip. We visited my Aunt Mary, who is recovering from a car accident, then headed to my Aunt Sherrill's house. After saying goodbye to Caitlin, Aunt Sherrill and my two cousins Julie and Justin did a little more shopping for my trip, ran a few errands, then finished with a shrimp dinner at their house with my mom and Uncle Joe. It was wonderful to spend a little time with them all. That evening we headed back to D'Hanis, and the next day we returned home. 

I wasn't sure how this trip would work with my study abroad timeline (considering I had so much to do), but I'm so glad I went. It was great to see some of my extended family before I left and I always forget how much I love D'Hanis. 

Anyways, after I got home I was busy busy busy, but now I am here in England! I'll post more soon about my flight and adventures from my first week abroad. Until then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment