Friday, September 19, 2014

First week in England

Hello everyone! It's hard to believe it's been only a week since I flew into Heathrow Airport in London! So much has happened! There is a lot to tell, so I'll try to keep it short. 

Sunday-Monday: after a long and rough drive to the airport (rain and a traffic jam), I met Gabby and her family at the airport. I said goodbye to my dad then worked my way through the airport with Gabby and her dad. The flight was very nice; they provided a pillow, blanket, two meals, and movies! I was so excited that they offered X-Men First Class, because I missed seeing it over the summer and it hasn't been realized on DVD in the US yet. It was a great movie! I tried sleeping the rest of the flight but didn't have much luck. It hardly mattered, though, because once we arrived I was too excited to be tired! We took a cab to our b&b in the Kings Cross area, grabbed a coffee, then explored the rest of the day, hitting up several parks and The British Museum. I remembered lots of the Greek art pieces from my classics and art history classes- my professors would be so proud!
View from the airplane. If you look closely you can see the London Eye!
Tuesday started off a little scary. We went to Kings Cross in the morning to catch our train to Penrith...but then I realized our train left from Euston Station, not Kings Cross! We booked it across town (about a 12 minute walk) and caught our train with minutes to spare! Definitely a close call, but fortunately everything worked out in the end. The train ride was long but lovely. The further north we got, the more beautiful then landscape. We arrived at Penrith in the afternoon then bused to Keswick. We checked into our b&b, which was very pleasant and run by even more pleasant people. After checking in we had just enough time to take a hike around Lake Derwentwater, one of the lakes in the Lake District. I knew the Lake District would be beautiful, but it surpassed all of my expectations. It looked like something from a fantasy tale- maybe Narnia or somewhere in Middle Earth. I think the Lake District is the most beautiful landscape I have ever seen in my life.
We spent all of Wednesday in charming Keswick hiking and exploring. We trekked ten kilometers up a fell called "Latrigg". We moved slowly but surely, and all of the older folks overtook us easily! I don't know how they do it, but when I'm older I want to be like all of the old-timers who take walking holidays around England. The hike was long and tough in some parts, but totally worth it. The view was breathtaking. I know I've already said how beautiful the landscape is, but there is no description I can give to do it justice. I don't think there is a word in the English language which can capture just how lovely and majestic the area is. I wish we could've stayed there forever, but we had to move continue on!

Thursday was our trip to York with a short stop in Carlisle along the way. We visited Carlisle Cathedral and Carlisle Castle, which were both super cool. The cathedral was beautiful, especially considering it was the first cathedral we saw in England. While we were visiting the castle there was set-up going on for a television show called "Outlander". It's based on a series of books and I'm pretty sure last time I was at the dentist my hygienist was telling me about them. The world is full of strange little coincidences. Once we arrived in York we met with a family friend of the Lastrapes' and his wife. They live in a little village outside York and generously welcomed us into their home during our stay in York. They took us to see York Minster (so awesome!) and medieval York (the walls, guild hall, etc.), and on Friday we all visited the stately home Castle Howard (where two versions of Brideshead Revisited were filmed- a book I hope to read soon) then drove across the Yorkshire Moors to Whitby (where Count Dracula landed in the book). In Whitby I got to try Yorkshire pudding and mushy peas for dinner- a dish I've been wanting to try for a long time! In an interview Patrick Stewart listed Yorkshire pudding as one of his favorite foods, and I've wanted to try it ever since! It was very good, but not what I was expecting! Again, there is so much more I could tell- ducks, pizza, and "snooker (spelling?)", but in the interest of time and space, I must move on to my account of Saturday.
Carlisle Cathedral

View from Carlisle Castle
York Minster

Guild house in York
Thornton-le-Dale
Famous house in Thornton-le-Dale
Castle Howard
Garden at Castle Howard
Yorkshire Moor
Heather on the moor
On Saturday we said goodbye to our friends in York and boarded our final train back to London. The ride was nice and we sat next to a very cute family with a little toddler. We chatted with them a bit until the train arrived, then parted ways. Once in London we made our way to our accomodation for that night, then set out to see the most famous sights of central London- Big Ben, the London Eye, Westminster Abbey, and so on. As we walked along the Thames River I could hardly believe we were actually walking in the city that I've seen in movies and read about in books so much! The ringing of the bells of Big Ben wasn't as loud as I expected (Mrs. Dalloway made it seem like it would be louder), but it was still a very special thing. We made our way to Westminster Cathedral (a Catholic cathedral unlike Westminster Abbey) for the vigil mass, which was nice and very incense-y. Many of the main sights in central London are very close together, so on our way to mass we got to walk by Buckingham Palace! After mass we headed back to our hotel, passing Trafalgar Square and some kind of military band playing American hits. 
Westminster
Buckingham Palace
Nelson's column in Trafalgar Square
On Sunday we woke up bright and early to go see the Tower of London. To get there we took our very first bus ride, which was a success! (From outside the Tower of London you can also see the Gherkin/bullet-shaped building, which was cool.) We got there just in time for the first Beef-eater tour, which turned out to see awesome! Our guide told us lots of historical tidbits, interesting facts, and gruesome stories about the fortress' long history. Thomas More was imprisoned there, as well as Sir Walter Raleigh and many others. The most famous building is the White Tower, which actually isn't very much like a tower, but I supposed it was considered very tall when it was built. Inside there is a large collection of armor, including that of Henry VIII, and other historical artifacts. It was amazing being in a building so old; it was begun by William the Conqueror in 1066! We got to tour the fortress but skipped the crown jewels. Seeing everything at the Tower of London would have taken several days! After visited the Tower we called it a day and headed back to our accommodation for the night near Heathrow. 
The White Tower
Beefeater!
View of Tower Bridge from outside the Tower of London
WWI Memorial poppies outside the Tower of London
The next morning Gabby's dad left, and Gabby and I spent a leisurely day in London. We rode the tube for the first time (Piccadilly line) to Kensington Gardens where we explored the grounds then visited the Victoria and Albert Museum. Unfortunately we didn't spot Kate or baby George at Kensington Palace, but it was a great day nonetheless. 

On Tuesday we met up with the St. Mary's study group and settled into our dorm rooms, which is where we are now. Everything is wonderful so far, and I will write about week two in the UK soon!

1 comment:

  1. You have started off on a wonderful adventure in Great Brittain, a country of great beauty and ruggedness that only enhances it's charm and mystique. I forgot to tell you that Buckingham Palace is open to the public for tours in August and September and is worth seeing, but oh well. Take every opportunity to see and do as much as you can. I look forward to reading your blog. Love you. Margie

    ReplyDelete